Monday, March 26, 2012

A Week of Parties

Hopefully soon I will be able to title every blog post I write with that title up there.

One of my new Los Angeles friends is a huge movie buff. I guess that's not too surprising -- everyone out here is a movie buff to some degree. But Julia is a rather well-known movie buff. She works at a favorite theater of mine called The New Beverly Cinema, which is always having special events and midnight screenings and the craziest double features. So when someone like Julia has a birthday party and throws an invite your way, it'd be a mistake not to show up for it.

Rainbow cake with sprinkles!

She had her birthday party at the theater and invited about 50 of her closest friends to watch almost 2 hours worth of movie trailers -- both totally off the wall and familiar ones. When the lights dimmed, we all hushed our voices until Julia shouted something like, "You can talk!" from her spot in the front row. The viewing came to an end after an episode of The Monkees on 35mm.

After that? Pizza and cake, of course.


The next day, Bunny headed out to the premiere of American Reunion at Grauman's Chinese Theatre. I was lucky enough that he was able to wrangle an extra ticket to the after party. Across the street, the Roosevelt Hotel's main floor lobbies were decorated like a high school class reunion, complete with balloons, photo booths, and a DJ. If only all class reunions had an open bar like the one that night -- maybe I'd start going to mine.




Strolled by all of the cast members, but I couldn't walk by Jennifer Coolidge without saying hello. We talked about New Orleans (she's a current resident, I'm a past resident) and her role in Port of Call: New Orleans, among other things. She was crazy about how Bunny and I were dressed and asked to get her picture with us before we could ask to get our photo with her! Here's hoping she actually made us the wallpaper on her cracked iPhone screen.

The movie's costume designer, Mona May (she also costumed Clueless, among many other films) stopped me in my tracks to compliment me on my wardrobe as well. It was finally my chance to compliment her monster fur jacket and sequined dress! We talked about sunscreen and protecting our hands from the elements. Mona, if you're reading, how can I get a pair of your adorable fingerless leather gloves?

Bunny and I danced a couple of songs before saying hi to Eugene Levy, then we headed up to the Spare Room, a tiny bar with two bowling lanes on the second floor. Shortly after that we headed back downstairs. All of the guests had left, except for four young adults who were trying to get permission to take home a giant tinsel palm tree.

Wednesday Bunny and I headed to Warner Bros. studios to see a taping of Two and a Half Men. Our friend Abbie made an appearance on the show as Jake's girlfriend, so we were thrilled to be able to see her at work. When the show wrapped, we headed down onto the set, and we quickly sniffed out another open bar. And another delicious buffet.

Welcome to our TV kitchen! Stay a while!

I dressed a baked potato for myself, but didn't have time to eat it before we headed out a back door and stopped face to face with Ashton Kutcher's massive double-decker trailer. My baked potato teetered on the tiniest plastic plate I was carrying, and I had horrible visions of tossing the damn thing right onto the floor of his trailer. I was so preoccupied with making sure I didn't spill the potato, that I barely looked up the couple of times Mr. Kutcher brushed passed me. Way to go. Live and learn, and remember I am much more comfortable holding a glass than a plate.

Oh, did you see me on Criminal Minds last Wednesday? If not, check out the episode entitled Foundation. It's available online. I play Sam's Sick Mom. Believe it or not, it was the funnest day at work ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment