Monday, September 26, 2011

Sunsets and Shrieking on Coney Island

Visited Coney Island twice during our trip this year -- on September 14 and, when we found out the rides weren't in service that day, we went back on the 18th. No big deal. Not like it's a problem to have to visit a seaside amusement park twice in a week, is it?

Mom and I brought some Nathan's hotdogs to the boardwalk, had some lemonade, and flew kites on the beach (she brought them from a Dollar Store in MN). Before heading back to our hotel, we stopped in at the aquarium in time to see the penguins eat a late lunch. They're quite refined when it comes to dining -- they each waited their turn, ate a couple of fish, then moved out of the way for the next well-dressed fellow. Messy on their finish though -- look out. They shake their heads instead of wiping their beaks with napkins. I was expecting more manners from such refined dressers.

On the 18th, I saw a tweet from @NYCTBusStop about a special nostalgia train running limited stops from Times Square to 96th street. So our second trip to the beach was delayed a little while. What a wild ride! This train was originally in service beginning in 1917, had ceiling fans and we got to have the windows open. It was fun seeing people on the platform realize this was not a regular train. Mom cracked up some lady by shouting out the window, "What century is this?"


After that we rode the Wonder Wheel, and I got to the Cyclone in time to sit in the very first seat. This coaster is liable to break a person, so I figure I better ride it while I can. I had to shut the camera off after the first dive because, well, I needed both hands to hang on, dang it. My arm was sore for the rest of the trip.



Played on the beach until sunset, ate ice cream, and met my doppelganger -- Coney Island's very own Lola Staar. The rest of our trip consisted of eating and drinking, of course.

Will report more soon, Chester!

No comments:

Post a Comment